Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update & announcement on 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Liverpool 2007 - consultation on prospective events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Update & announcement on 2007 Reply with quote

Following a long negotiating session with funding partners this afternoon (Jan 9th), I pleased to announce the following event for 2007 in Liverpool. Other announcements will follow in due course, subject to further discussions

In 2007 (exact timing to be confirmed, possibly June, possibly September), Liverpool will host a four-way match between representative teams from the UK, EU, India & China. The precise format remains to be decided and is subject to budget, but each team is likely to be something like:

4 x GMs
2 x juniors
2 x women
double-round, all-play-all by board

Discussions are ongoing to offer a 2007 Liverpool International Open on lines similar to the 2006 2nd EU Open last September. The 2008 4th EU Open will definitely run in Liverpool the following year (see separate announcement)

David
Mark Howitt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that any countries benefiting from this event will at least look kindly upon selecting English players for events abroad. I think it's a shame that no English player is being invited to Wijk for instance.
Nigel Short

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially as Corus is allegedly an Anglo-Dutch company...
Mark Howitt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel Short wrote:
Especially as Corus is allegedly an Anglo-Dutch company...

But for how much longer Nigel? Maybe the organisers were planning ahead by inviting two Indians...

Why do you think Mickey didn't get an invite?

Hope you do well in your future tournaments!
David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to excuse the absence of Brits at the Corus event in Wijk-aan-Zee. But Brits have been well-represented in recent years. Mickey has played every year 2000-2006, joined by Nigel in 2000 & 2005.

In truth, while Corus is (for the moment) an Anglo-Dutch company, the tournament at Wijk owes itself to the covenant made with the Dutch steel firm, Hoogovens. When Hoogovens merged with British Steel in 1999 to form Corus, the Dutch partners insisted that the covenant obliging sponsorship of a major chess tournament transferred to the new firm. So in a sense, the first commitment is to Dutch chess.

Why Indians this year? Look no further than the goings-on in the global steel market. Recently the huge Indian-owned (but Dutch-based) steel-maker, Mittal, merged with a rival Arcelor. Mittal is the arch-rival of Corus.

So Corus has gone looking for a global partner to fend of the demands of its new super-competitor next door, Arcelor-Mittal. Currently the favorite to win the bidding battle for Corus is Tata Steel, Mittal's arch-rival. And Tata Steel is from India too.

Expect more Indians at Wijk in future Smile

David
Mark Howitt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was aware of that David, and in fairness it might be right to mention that a Brazilian company had an offer accepted for Corus, after the Indian one had already been accepted!

Obviously there's been a strong 'Dutch contingent' in Wijk, pretty much regardless of how well they were playing. Tinman was allowed to play in Wijk for too long in my opinion.

And I wouldn't even argue for a reserved English or British place in this way. But if a British player was strong enough to play, I think that he should definitely be invited. In fact, I don't think there should be much if any bias towards countries. Even if Corus was an Indian company I would hope the strongest players would be invited.

It seem unfair to me that Adams wasn't invited to the 'Anglo-Dutch company tournament'- especially if you take into consideration how many Dutch players were invited to the recent Staunton Memorial. (With the assistence of Dutch financial support I know, but these players still had the access of very good venues, British officials...)

And Adams performed well in last year's tournament and should be there on his rating anyway. It seems that Wijk was biased towards youth, what with Adams not even being allowed in as a substitute.

www.artsvenusiens.com/ptw
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Liverpool 2007 - consultation on prospective events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: