Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECF Membership

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: ECF Membership Reply with quote

Does anyone know for sure what the ECF are planning to do with membership next year? There is no official word on their website although there are rumours aplenty?
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why oh why oh why [that's enough, thank you] do we create dedicated forums, and people still start threads in the wrong place? Why oh why oh why oh why.......?

But all will be forgiven, Sean, if you start spreading some of these rumours Very Happy

David
RedXIII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eye of Providence never sleeps Sean. Someone has to keep us in line though and up to now David has not wavered in this task! Smile

'Quo modo Deum' indeed.
Blue Apricot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point there will be an official ECF forum, when it gets passed the current level of testing that is...

Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Cheers
Carl
Sean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humble apologies oh great sage!!

I've heard that membership (via an MO) wont actually be membership, but an 'affiliation' instead. If correct, you would not need to sign the whte form, but equally you would not be able to play 4NCL, British Champs, FIDE tournaments etc.

But the big hit is that you will have to pay full game fee on top of the 10 "affiliation" fee.

I can't believe that this is right as it seems absolutely non-sensical to me. But thats the rumour. Oh is it my prediction of the new ECF trying to extract more cash from grass roots players coming home to roost?!

With the ECF meeting in April, we'll find out soon enough I guess.
RdC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh is it my prediction of the new ECF trying to extract more cash from grass roots players coming home to roost?!

BCF Yearbook 2007 page 6 Robert Richmond Director of Finance

The outlook for the coming two years is not good, following the loss of sponsorship of the British Championship and other reasons. A large increase in fees seems inevitable for 2007/8.
David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given Robert Richmond's comment as reported, and given I'm on record months back in arguing the case, the question remains: what kind of big fee increase?

I don't mean 'how big'? That's less important, up to a point, than how the increase is structured. Quite simply, I think a flat-rate increase would be unworkable; and a return to universal 'game fee' (+ flat-rate 'affiliation') pure nonsense.

But a tiered fee structure might work. We need to accept, as they do in the EBU, that many ECF members are really 'social players'. How we define this can be tossed around, but I'd say anyone with a grade lower than 100 qualifies. So they pay 10.00

Assume 12,000 ECF members currently and a target revenue stream of 180,000 (flat-rate 15); and assume 60% have grades >100. That will generate 72,000, leaving 108,000 to find from the remaining 40% of graded players.

Next, assume 30% of players have grades <100 but >170. Let them pay 20.00, yielding 72,000. That leaves 10% of players <170 to pay 30.00.

Obviously this model can be tweaked to fit, and fee bands added to suit. But a fee structure tiered by grade, while not devoid of anomalies for those inclined to seek them, does balance the voice of the social players with that of the stronger; and it can yield more income without the messiness of game fee

David
Red_Dalek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RdC"]
Quote:
The outlook for the coming two years is not good, following the loss of sponsorship of the British Championship and other reasons. A large increase in fees seems inevitable for 2007/8.

So the the British Champs needs the money? If it were more than a collection of the "best of the rest" players in Britain then sponsorship would probably happen. Who wants to sponsor a British Champs without Short or Adams?

Can't say that I'd be that impressed with an inflation busting increase.
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Dalek wrote:

Can't say that I'd be that impressed with an inflation busting increase.

Nor me. I suspect that if they try it they may well lose more money than they gain, as events choose not to pay game fee at all.
regan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the big hit is that you will have to pay full game fee on top of the 10 "affiliation" fee.

I can't believe that this is right as it seems absolutely non-sensical to me

you're right,it is.

Quote:
Oh is it my prediction of the new ECF trying to extract more cash from grass roots players coming home to roost?!

er...no
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful comments as usual from the CEO. Rolling Eyes

Any chance of him actually clarifying the situation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> ECF Membership 2006-8 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: