Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New research says participation the key

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: New research says participation the key Reply with quote

Improving the participation of women in chess, not genetic or gender discrimination factors, is the key to improving their performance vis-a-vis men, claims new research

This article is an excellent read

http://scienceblogs.com/purepedantry/2007/01/participation_explains_differe.php

Kudos, as ever, to Chessbase for pointing me in its direction

David
RedXIII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Participation is key Reply with quote

Truly an excellent read.

Maybe as a start we could all have a ‘Ladies Day’ at our Clubs; where wives, girlfriends, daughters etc are encouraged to come along. Who knows, they may enjoy it and wish to start playing Chess if not already doing so. If not at least there is a greater understanding regarding relationships and interests between the sexes.

Evidently there are social barriers which will long be present as 'obstacles' to both (all) sexes. If gender truly is the underlying issue then few women will ever play games such as Chess until evolution and/or social expectation dictates otherwise.

There will always be girls playing what are considered boy’s games and vice versa. They have always been in the minority though and I personally do not see this changing anytime soon because boys and girls generally have upbringings which are quite differing as they always have.

To quote the film Trainspotting: “In a thousand years, there will be no men and women, just w*****s, and that's fine by me.”

Live and let live. If anything piques your interest then explore it! That is the way the world may be in the future.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that the salvation of chess lies in getting more women to play it at a suitably high level. Anything to break the 'shabby bloke' reputation the game has acquired in this country.

For this reason, I ensured Hou Yifan and Ding Xiyin played in the GB v China match along with Keti & Jovanka. And I've prioritised women entrants for the European tournament in September. Alas, having attracted the best in Europe, we may now lose some since the Women's World Championships have subsequently been announced for dates that clash.

David
RedXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I'm sure that the salvation of chess lies in getting more women to play it at a suitably high level. Anything to break the 'shabby bloke' reputation the game has acquired in this country.David

I agree. Unfortunately however, for every 'high level' player there are 1000 'low level' players. I'm certain that there are many many women out there who have never had the opportunity to prove that they are 'high level' players. So until they are more involved at lower levels we can expect to see very few high level players.

David wrote:
For this reason, I ensured Hou Yifan and Ding Xiyin played in the GB v China match along with Keti & Jovanka. And I've prioritised women entrants for the European tournament in September. Alas, having attracted the best in Europe, we may now lose some since the Women's World Championships have subsequently been announced for dates that clash.

David

And the city/town? that they're playing the world championships in - I have never heard of before! Unless I'm mistaken it is Nalchik, Kabardino-Balkaria in Russia (near Georgia) which, according to Google Earth, looks like a stunning setting a few miles from snow capped mountains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Women in Chess All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: