Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New ECF leadership resigns!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: New ECF leadership resigns! Reply with quote

Following yesterday's ECF Council meeting, I understand new CEO, Martin Regan, has resigned, joined today by International Director, Peter Sowray.

As I understand it, they have given up trying to persuade the stuffed shirts of ECF Council to invest sensibly in English chess development. If this is the case, it's a grim day.

More as I get it; or from others, if they can shed light on this 'breaking news'

Crying or Very sad

David
andrew martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including Claire Summerscale I think as junior director.

I will find out more as the day goes on, but this really is bad news for all chess players in England.
John Upham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Email from Peter Sowray Reply with quote

Here is the email from Peter Sowray :

Hello,

Please forgive the impersonal nature of this email, but I just wanted to let you know that I will shortly be stepping down from my position of ECF International Director.

Although the ECF has approved a 35% increase in the International budget for the coming year, it has become very clear to me and others that the Federation is unwilling to tackle the underlying issues that have caused the decline of chess in England over recent years. You might think that with about a million pounds at its disposal, the ECF would be keen to invest in our game. Sadly, that appears not to be the case.

Whilst I’m hopeful that the increase in the budget will mean that we can send a strong and properly prepared team to the Olympiad later this year, I am far less optimistic about the future. The outlook for the ECF’s flagship event, the British Championship, also appears uncertain.

A new International Director will be responsible for selecting our teams to go to Dresden. You have given me fantastic support whilst I have been working for the ECF, and I hope you will extend the same support to the new director.

Finally, I am very grateful for all the help I have received from you. The best of luck to those of you playing in important international events at the moment. I hope to see many of you at the 4NCL next weekend.

Kind regards,

Peter Sowray
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Truran (4NCL Organiser) is reported to have resigned too. Only the windbags, deadlegs and junketeers are left.

Will the last one standing please turn out the light on English chess Crying or Very sad

David
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having attended the council meeting on Saturday, I'm not at all surprised by this news. The insular views of many of the delegates, who seemed only capable of considering what was good for them, was frightening.

It was clear that a universal membership scheme did not have universal support. This was a pity in my opinion. It was also clear that the board wanted such a scheme to have a membership fee far higher than most thought feasible - including those who support the idea in principle (such as myself).

What happens now is anyones guess. The 4NCL this weekend will be interesting.
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those remaining on the Board are claiming there have been no formal 'resignations', merely that certain people have declared they will not be seeking re-election next month. Hence Peter Sowray's reference to 'stepping down'.

Frankly, this is hair-splitting. At least four of the nine-person Board have quit; there may yet be others.

In my opinion, the only resignation we really need is that of ECF President, Gerry Walsh. That cannot come soon enough. He of course was not at the ECF Council. He's currently 'officiating' in Plovdiv at the European championships.

But it's been on his watch that the BCF disintegrated; that English chess has declined; that our national chess community has become split and demoralised; that our national teams have been weakened; that sponsorship has dried up; and now, that the ECF Board is in chaos.

The resignation of Gerry Walsh must be a pre-condition of any renewed efforts to reform ECF. Without the removal of his blocking influence, good people will shun the organisation.

David
John Upham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Who do we need to chase to speed up Gerry's OBE?

Getting this awarded could help your suggestion?

In fact, a nice award for all the old duffers who are there for the sake of it will be appropriate and it should come from Young Mr Grace himself...

"You've all done very well!" or not so well in some cases.

I fear that English chess will split into two factions :

1. The club player who only cares about himself

2. The rest

I propose public meeting(s) at the 4NCL venues this weekend on Saturday night and lets link those meetings somehow.

If any single body can sort this mess out it is 4NCL.

John
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Those remaining on the Board are claiming there have been no formal 'resignations', merely that certain people have declared they will not be seeking re-election next month. Hence Peter Sowray's reference to 'stepping down'.

Martin Regan emailed me earlier today. Referring to this announcement, he said that in light of it I needed to deal with Dave Welch instead.

This tells me that his resignation is effective immediately.
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Upham wrote:
I propose public meeting(s) at the 4NCL venues this weekend on Saturday night

That'll be 'public meeting' as in 'Public School', will it? 'Public' to those who are included in; private to the rest. Very Happy . As someone elsewhere on another thread in here has said, of 4NCL venues, if they are in places like Sunningdale, they might as well be on Pluto as far as Northern players are concerned.

We do need a professionally organised round-table discussion though with informed presentations and inputs. Anything less is just the chatter of chimps.

John Upham wrote:
If any single body can sort this mess out it is 4NCL

4NCL does what it does reasonably well. But it can never substitute for ECF. We need a professional ECF to represent and promote chess for all. And don't forget, ECF has £1 million under its wing in one form or another. It's worth the effort to rescue it from the incompetents, and reform it for the good of chess.

David
ukchess1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie has asked me to copy and paste this on here

http://forum.bcfservices.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262#p1470

by Ernie Lazenby on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:42 pm

The following gives me no pleasure at all and I fully understand the implications but I feel it should be made common knowledge.

Several weeks ago the ECF President asked me as Chair of the CCA to give the three CCA votes for yesterdays fincnace meeting to an other person who is not an CCA official but is a CCA member. That person is a friend of the ECF president and was attending yesterdays meeting in an official capacity connected with the ECF. I was aware that our ECF rep could not attend this meeting but declined the offer. Three CCA officials decided our three votes should be used by Martin Regan as he saw fit.

I will not name the third person because he played no part in the conversation I had with the ECF President and is indeed someone I respect.I am sure that person would not know of the request.

One must ask why the ECF President was not at yesterdays meeting, apparently he was on arbiters duties in Europe. Could it be that he knew that the meeting was going to go a particular way and thus he need not be there to help sway it. Its very good politics to keep ones hands clean.

Yesterday is a dark day in our game and its terrible that very able people motivated by a desire to help us move forward feel they cannot do so given the obstacles stacked up against them. Its for this reason and that reason alone, devoid of any personal feelings for an individual, that I make the above information available.

Horse trading goes on in all sorts of organisations and its clear that is what happened here.Its not illegal or corrupt its just making sure you get what you want. The question is however why do any of us want anything to do with the ECF when theres clearly no benefit to the majority of the rank and file players and even less when its clear the organisation is so badly thought of it cannot get any sponsors or hold onto people clearly able to run a business and gets things right.

A SAD DAY.
JacksfullofAces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is however why do any of us want anything to do with the ECF when theres clearly no benefit to the majority of the rank and file players and even less when its clear the organisation is so badly thought of it cannot get any sponsors or hold onto people clearly able to run a business and gets things right. [quote]
It reminds me strongly of New Labour. Of little use to many people but expensive, wasteful and elected Laughing
steveg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David summed it up perfectly. We must get rid of Gerry Walsh. The mere fact that he could not be bothered even to attend last Saturday's vital Council meeting is reason enough for him to be deprived of office (as if any additional reasons were needed...). I doubt that he reads this forum, but in the unlikely event that he does, or one of his acolytes can pass on a message, I cannot do better than quote the words of Oliver Cromwell:

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
John Upham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Message from Claire... Reply with quote

Dear all
I'm really sorry that I have to send this email and I know that many of you will have already heard that I have resigned my positions within the ECF as Director of Junior Chess & Education and Manager of Women's Chess, along with Martin Regan (CEO), Peter Sowray (International Director) and Mike Truran (Non-executive Director)

I would like to quote Martin Regan at this point, as he quite simply phrases why we have resigned better than I could hope to:
“Since the new board took control in a contested election in 2006, it has made substantial progress in improving both the profile and activity of the ECF. It has made mistakes along the way, but generally, I hope you will agree, it has been a board which had the interests of English chess at heart.

However, in order for English Chess to achieve that of which it is capable, more fundamental changes are needed. This is what the board was elected to deliver.

We were under no illusion about the hurdles that would need to be overcome, nor were we even sure that the Federation itself would wish to embark on major change. However, it was clear from the first that in order to progress this agenda two fundamental conditions were required: A unified board and a Council wishing to hear the debate with an open mind.

I regret to say that neither condition could be met, despite my best efforts.

At Finance Council it became depressingly clear that a minority - and I do stress the word minority - had little intention of grasping the opportunity for debate. Unfortunately, voices within the ECF which speak loud and often have a disproportionate influence.

At the same time, over the past year, it has become clear that not all the members of the board wished to support the type of changes that the large majority of the board believed were essential, indeed were implacably opposed to them .That is their right, of course, but seeking to persuade the Federation about the need for change with the background opposition of key figures is impossible.”

I have worked extremely hard within the ECF to improve opportunities for juniors in England and to some extent I feel that I have made a difference, but without the support of Martin Regan as CEO, Peter Sowray and Mike Truran, my position as junior director is unfortunately untenable.

I would like to thank Martin, Peter and Mike for their help and guidance. They brought a wealth of expertise, experience and energy to the ECF board and their resignations will leave a large hole in English chess.

I will of course complete any projects which are currently underway. I hope that people know my dedication to junior chess well enough to know that I would not cut and run. Current projects include:
GDST Championships
National Girls' Chess Championships
All England Girls' Championships, Gold Finals
Glorney tournaments
I will ensure that the World Youth, European Youth, Under 16 Olympiad all have excellent squad managers to ensure their smooth running.

I would appreciate volunteers from parents who are interested in organising squads to go to other international events such as World Schools, Euro youth team championships, forthcoming events in Hungary etc.

I would like to thank you for your support and I hope to see many of you at the 4NCL this weekend.

Regards
Claire Summerscale
JacksfullofAces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ECF as Director of Junior Chess & Education and Manager of Women's Chess,

Why does women's chess need official management? are women considered idiots and incapable of managing our chess?
JacksfullofAces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
National Girls' Chess Championships
All England Girls' Championships, Gold Finals

Claire
Don't you think it is time that girls events were deemed patronising to the female sex and ceased henceforth?
Rexels Brother

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all this speculation that the only reason that the ECF board resigned was something to do with the structure of the ECF debate. I was not attending on Saturday but I do know that the only vote that did not go Martin, Claire & Co's way was the money from the Chess Centre Ltd fund. It is now obvious to all that the only reason they resigned is because they did not get they hands on the £30k which was debated and sent to the Private Investment Fund so that it can be used forever.

Sad thing is the New Guard has become the money grabbing Old Guard. If all the had to solve the ECF's growing problems is Quick Fix and Money Grabbing then Good Riddance!!!!!!!!

We need a full structure to develop the ECF that starts with a board that works together.

During the restucturing of the office debate, Martin Regan argued that he was nothing like Howard Curtis of Couldsdon fame and even got insulted when this was mentioned, but in his hands I bet he had the votes from Couldsdon. Two faced or what.

Lets hope the next Directors want to work together as one unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> New ECF All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: