Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food and Drink
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Romper Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say that although I am a member of the club that organises the Chester congress, I am not part of the organising team and the comments below are therefore my own.

It was explained at the congress that the Health and safety issues were from the owners of the venue, and as the venue was in use for various functions over the course of the weekend I can understand why they would make such a ruling.

As advertised very reasonably priced refreshments were available at the venue.

I'm not sure that your own drinking water was prohibited that would seem to be extreme and in any case not all participants obeyed the rules anyway.

It is not unusual for venues to ban the comsumption of your own food, I was at the Millenium stadium a few weeks ago and nothing could be taken in, so it does not seem unreasonable for chess congress venues to follow suit.

It also seems a little unreasonable to me to expect Jim McPhillips to reply to an email that you sent him the day after the congress ended though I am sure the British organisers will reply to you in due course.
RedXIII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Health and Safety? Reply with quote

Surely children still have a choice between School Dinners and a Packed Lunch so why canít Chess Congress participants?

I could understand that taking your packed lunch into a restaurant to eat it would be a bad idea but people are not going to any particular Chess Congress because the menu sounds rather good are they?

Out of interest I have searched the internet for such a law that forbids you from eating your own lunch but alas I canít find one.

Since I see a dispute coming along, I have a suggestion. Take a train ride into Liverpool Lime Street, make the very short walk over to St Georges Hall. At lunch time sit outside and enjoy the view in the gardens whilst eating your packed lunch. Beats driving and fuel prices. You could set up a board outside while you're at it and challenge passers by for cash (train fare). Laughing
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my day you didnt have a choice about going to school so i'm not sure that arguement is all that valid.

You other point is excellent though, you are only prohibited from eating your food in the venue, nothing to stop you having lunch somewhere else as I did last weekend.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! This thread is 'food and drink' to anyone seeking evidence that chess players are completely bonkers Rolling Eyes

David
RedXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have our idiosynchrocies and sometimes one man's trouble is another man's trivia.

But surely a dispute over water can be settled? Anyway, big events I've been to have free bottled water (oooh) not to mention free corporation pop.
e4c5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Good grief! This thread is 'food and drink' to anyone seeking evidence that chess players are completely bonkers

I'm not sure what you are saying (?)
I thought this forum was to discuss issues rather than to belittle them

Are you supposed to be a moderator??[/quote]

I think your location as specified on your profile is incorrect.
SteveC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e4c5 wrote:
I think your location as specified on your profile is incorrect.
Spot on!

This thread reminds me of the even duller and meaningless discussion on the ECF forum a few years ago about the use of avatars Smile.
RedXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveC wrote:
This thread reminds me of the even duller and meaningless discussion on the ECF forum a few years ago about the use of avatars Smile.

I think Avatar use should be enforced! As an example take a look at Sean's Avatar, not someone you'd like to bump into down a dark alley and it draws attention to your posts by learned association.
bradford_chess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing a 6 hour game is it reasonable to say if you need food or drink during the game you have to go out of the venue and lose time on your clock, or alternatively we can provide that for you but only if at a profiteering price.

All these pathetic excuses about Health & Safety and other spurious reasons, we all know it is down to the venue making a profit.

I suggest that everyone at the British next year, blatantly breaks the rules and brings their own sandwiches in. I can't see the organisers expelling them all.
e4c5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradford_chess wrote:

I suggest that everyone at the British next year, blatantly breaks the rules and brings their own sandwiches in. I can't see the organisers expelling them all.

With any luck we'll never have to suffer this class of venue again.

Community sports hall till I die!
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
First let me say that although I am a member of the club that organises the Chester congress, I am not part of the organising team and the comments below are therefore my own.

I do believe you, but people do seem to have this 'loyalty' where they don't publicly criticise people who they are friendly with - It's not therefore an 'independent' viewpoint

Of course i'm biased i know how much hard work the organisers put in.

Bob wrote:
It was explained at the congress that the Health and safety issues were from the owners of the venue, and as the venue was in use for various functions over the course of the weekend I can understand why they would make such a ruling.

The venue's issues are not the point - It's up to the organisers to choose a suitable venue

The venue was very suitable. If you didnt like the rules then presumably you didnt enter

Bob wrote:
It also seems a little unreasonable to me to expect Jim McPhillips to reply to an email that you sent him the day after the congress ended though I am sure the British organisers will reply to you in due course.

You think it unreasonable for people to reply to emails ??!!
Don't you think he may have been less busy after the congress ended?

You email an organiser the day after his congress finishes and expect an instant reply!!!

I think e4cs is spot on with his comment about your location
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to invite you to join the rest of us in the real world. You might find it quite interesting here.

When seeking a venue, there are many things to consider. Size, location, accessibility, availability etc. Importantly, price is a major factor. The more I pay for a venue, the less I can offer by way or prizes or the more I have to charge as entry fee. Simple economics.

So, if I have two equivalent venues but one which has a restriction on own food and one which does not I go for the latter. BUT, if the former is cheaper to hire then I chose that every time.

In any case, given that you shouldn't be eating your sandwiches at the board in either scenario I dont see the problem. Finish your game, then go eat outside or in some other establishment.
bradford_chess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When seeking a venue, there are many things to consider. Size, location, accessibility, availability etc. Importantly, price is a major factor. The more I pay for a venue, the less I can offer by way or prizes or the more I have to charge as entry fee. Simple economics.

Fair enough but why does this have to be shrouded in terms that it is "Health & Safety" rules that you can't bring in your own sandwiches. A bit of honesty in the communication would be helpful.
Quote:
In any case, given that you shouldn't be eating your sandwiches at the board in either scenario I dont see the problem.

I am not suggesting eating at the board but in the venue but away from the board, this is surely less time consuming than going out of the venue. If you are playing a 6 hour game, are you suggesting that you should have nothing to eat or drink during this period ?
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradford_chess wrote:
Quote:

Fair enough but why does this have to be shrouded in terms that it is "Health & Safety" rules that you can't bring in your own sandwiches. A bit of honesty in the communication would be helpful.

Whoa there. Are you alleging that the venue did not instigate the ban quoting H&S? I suspect that you have no evidence to this effect.

bradford_chess wrote:
Quote:
In any case, given that you shouldn't be eating your sandwiches at the board in either scenario I dont see the problem.

I am not suggesting eating at the board but in the venue but away from the board, this is surely less time consuming than going out of the venue. If you are playing a 6 hour game, are you suggesting that you should have nothing to eat or drink during this period ?

I dont believe I have suggested anywhere that you should have nothing to eat or drink but let me check......As I thought, nope. I haven't suggested that at all!!

It may well be less time consuming to eat on site, but only marginally so. It seems to me you have three choices, all of which you are perfectly at liberty to select.

1) You take your own food / drink but you eat outside of the venue
2) You purchase your food / drink from the approved vendor and eat on site
3) You don't like the playing conditions so you don't enter

Given that no-one is forcing you to enter I don't see the problem Embarassed
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one wants to go to war with the modern world, the playing conditions of a chess tournament are probably not the best place to make a stand. To slay the 'health & safety' dragon you must first track it to its lair in Strasbourg, only then can ye save fair mankind.

Players standing up and vigorously shining apples, placing their tesco plastic bags at the edge of the board, rocking back and forth as they eat their sandwiches, spraying breadcrumbs like some kind of human combine harvester - what could be less conducive to serious competition? Sugary biscuits and chocolates are at least discreet.
Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I have two equivalent venues but one which has a restriction on own food and one which does not I go for the latter. BUT, if the former is cheaper to hire then I chose that every time.

Quote:
So you're placing the blame on 'Choice of available Venues' Why does everyone blame everyone else?

If you're hiring a venue, you have to stick by the rules under which you hire the said venue. If they say players can't bring their own food and drink then that's it. Of course, you don't have to hire that venue but there isn't exactly a huge que of venues wanting to accomodate chess congresses at a price that a congress can offord to pay. I know because I run a few and am currently looking for an alternate venue for my weekend congress as my usual one is unavailable this year. Have been quoted from £900 - £3500 for a suitable weekend venue.

Quote:
You can't use that excuse for the British Championship - They have a choice from the whole of Britain.

Do they indeed? Do they? To host the British the hosters need to provide the ECF with a playing venue

a) At least 10,000 sqare feet in size
b) Available for two weeks at end of July / start of August
c) Available free of charge

Still think that gives you the whole of Britain to choose from? I've tried to find such a venue in Leicester but haven't yet been able to. I'm sure Stewart Reuben would be delighted to receive from you the long list of suitable venues that he can choose from!

Quote:
It is perfectly normal to drink during a game - So I would have to distract from the game to purchase water (if possible), rather than to just pour my own. I seem to remember from one day congresses, that many competitors brought flasks for use during their games.

Come on!! Is it reasonably beyond the wit of man (correction, beyond the wit of chess players) to look at the pairings, then visit the food / drink vendors, purchase a bottle of water then sit down to play? No time lost or distration from the game then, is there?

Quote:
I normally eat between rounds. What other establishment can one go to, to eat a packed lunch?

I have to say I've never seen a congress with a dining room for the consumption of packed lunches. Playing hall, yes. Analysis room, yes. Dining area, no. It's not something organisers look to provde. But some ideas as to where you could go? How about outside?! No one is seeking to prevent you from doing that!

Roger wrote:
Players standing up and vigorously shining apples, placing their tesco plastic bags at the edge of the board, rocking back and forth as they eat their sandwiches, spraying breadcrumbs like some kind of human combine harvester - what could be less conducive to serious competition? Sugary biscuits and chocolates are at least discreet.

Quote:
I actually agree with that - but they're not banned are they? It's more usual to eat one's sandwiches away from the board, but within sight of the board, so you can see when your opponent moves

Of course it's banned. Eating at the board (or indeed in the playing hall) is discourteous and distracts other players to the point of irritation. If you try to eat your sandwiches anywhere in my playing hall you are asked to stop or leave the playing hall.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Romper Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: