Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split from General Chat (ECF Forum Live) thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanista

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Split from General Chat (ECF Forum Live) thread Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by lanista on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanista - are you for real? do you really think allowing nutters to write under anonymous handles protects minors? if you have anything sensible to say, you should have no problem identifying yourself.

as you dont like the ECF policy, i dont understand why you tried to join their forum (you tried but they wouldnt let you break their rules so refused your registration). the majority of posters on that forum want to retain the real name policy so i suspect it isnt going anywhere. accept that fact and move on. dont try to start a crusade because you wont win!

assuming that you have joined (or tried to join) a chess forum, perhaps you have something positive to contribute - or a question to ask? or are you just looking to pick a fight whilst hiding behind a made up name?!
Carl Hibbard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "problem" seems to boil down to me not quoting the "name" policy in the official rules under registration etc. with mention of the "legal" element being quoted at me

Hard work...

On the point me of me not using an official name here as well - has to be agreed on that one so I have changed that as well

Cheers
Carl
lanista

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by lanista on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carl Hibbard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Majer is the current Chief Executive of the ECF

However the ECF no longer has any sway over the rules regarding usage etc. of the forum or are they able to set any guidelines on it's setup

I have however opened a poll directed towards to your specific concerns to see what the members of the forum think of anonymous handles and this will remain open for 30 days

Cheers
Carl
e4c5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Hibbard wrote:
On the point me of me not using an official name here as well - has to be agreed on that one so I have changed that as well

Carl you have too much patience Smile

The gentleman above has no right to question you about this (atticus) forum, and indeed it seems ridiculous that an anonymous user should claim that you post private information.

I must admit to being a little disappointed, When i saw that the "latest registered user" was "Carl Hibbard" I had hoped it was some joker playfully commenting on the ECF real name policy Wink

Last edited by e4c5 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e4c5 wrote:

Carl you have too much patience Smile

The gentleman above has no right to question you about this (atticus) forum, and indeed it seems ridiculous that an anonymous user can claim that you post public information.

Quite right! Who on earth does this guy think he is?!

lanista wrote:

However regarding the ECF forum, as far as I'm concerned you are running a public service.

Then you are wrong - it's not a public service (if it was, it would be publicly funded for a start). The ECF is a private company of which, I suspect, you are not a member. In any case, the forum is even more straightforward than that - its a private enterprise run by Carl for our benefit. If you dont like what he does, don't participate.

lanista wrote:

As such, you should please view me as "Joe (ignorant of chess) Public" and take my responses entirely in that vein, for that is absolutely what I am and represent.

Aha. So he is the self appointed representative of the 60,000,000 Joe Publics in this country! He must either be the messiah, or David Robertson Laughing

lanista wrote:

Sean - I'd prepared a comprehensive response in full rebuttal of your text. However I shall dwell some more on this before I respond specifically to you, lest I take your bait and tempt myself to drop below acceptable and decent standards (such as the wording of your post might provoke).

Now that should be good. Dont forget to PM me when you post it - I'd hate to miss a good laugh. I just hope the quality is as good as your previous efforts Very Happy
lanista

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by lanista on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
e4c5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanista wrote:

e4c5 wrote:

I had hoped it was some joker playfully commenting on the ECF real name policy

I don't get this! First Carl says that this is no longer an ECF Forum and then e4c5 refers to the ECF real name policy!! Which shall it be??? Whose policy is it?? Address your argument accordingly please!

ECF = English Chess Forum.
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanista wrote:

@Sean
"dont try to start a crusade because you wont win!"

As a muslim, I take some offence to your religiously charged assertion of a "crusade". Please read here for similar gaffes. Consider yourself part of distinguished company:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1563722.stm

OMG - We have another Charles Wood or Rexels Brother on our hands!!

I'm not going to waste my time responding to all this nonsense as everyone can see what it is for themselves but I am going to take issue with this comment. There were, as you know, no religious overtones whatsoever in my use of the word crusade which is defined as

Quote:
exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person;

As such, I'd say it was a fairly accurate description of your endeavours and I stand by it.

As for chess flourishing - well I can only tell you that my club grew from 1 team to 13 teams in 5 years, and my congresses have seen a similar growth in the same period so yes, the chess I am involved in is indeed flourishing. Thanks for asking Embarassed
lanista

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by lanista on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanista wrote:

Fight fire with fire I'd say, so no apology from me as I gave you fair first warning...

Don't believe I asked for one. I just pointed out how ridiculous your previous claim was.

lanista wrote:

@Sean
The only man capable of saying something "sensible" ...

Don't confuse the fact that you have yet to say something sensible with what others say. There are many on this forum and others with sensible and valid points to put accross, engaging in sensible and sometimes fierce debate. Thus far, you have failed to join that group Embarassed

lanista wrote:

"OMG - We have another Charles Wood or Rexels Brother on our hands!!"

I don't know of these people yet, but I will see what I can find. However already knowing you, I'm fairly certain it must be derogatory.

I take it back. You got that one right! Laughing

lanista wrote:

"I'm not going to waste my time responding to all this nonsense as everyone can see what it is for themselves"

Ah, so as yet you still "play to the crowd".

Another take on this is that I have a life! Rolling Eyes

lanista wrote:

@Sean
"There were, as you know, no religious overtones whatsoever in my use of the word crusade"

Lamentably now follow the protestations of innocence......!

Your ridiculous accusations do you no credit. Thankfully, what you say is irrelevant. You know there were no religious overtones in what I said - but far more importantly so do others on this forum. I am going to ask you politely to stop making such comments. They are defamatory, but I would expect nothing less from someone hiding behind an alias.

lanista wrote:

Instead you wade in throwing your "punches" from the off, though I'd never said anything at all to you!!!

You may recall that your first post on this forum was to slag off the ECF forum, and it's webmaster.

lanista wrote:
I've not been welcomed at all by the ECF - Carl Hibbard

Having got your retaliation in first I stepped in to defend that forums real name policy Carl himself - pointing out that he and it stops nutters [like you?] from posting utter drivel.

lanista wrote:

Ah, so conversely you're not in any way "endeavouring" to have my "say" quashed. Why of course not. Your opinion is sacrosanct. Always entirely correct. It's anyone and everyone else who (how dare they) differ in opinion from you who is the "problem". Right!? No doubt to be forthwith and forevermore branded a "nutter", eh? Oh and of course do please gather peer opinion behind you too as you go along, in readiness for a lynching.

Everyones opinion is worthy of consideration, although that doesnt make them right. However, when someone new to the scene comes along and slags off the work of respected volunteers like Carl and the policies he works to, you shouldn't be surprised when people spring to his and its defence. You may have seen a poll on the ECF website about the real name policy. 80% are in favour of retaining that policy.

I certainly dont need to gather peer opinion, you're doing that for me!

lanista wrote:

As an aside (no doubt you're completely uninterested so please don't read any further), but I have an old friend who I was chatting to at the weekend. I haven't studied psychology since my days of academia with her, and she owes me a favour or two (as now a forensic psychologist). Anyway, we were laughing about my first experiences trying to "get up to speed" as a newbie at chess. She simply couldn't believe it!! Anyway, she's become very interested in you (take another bow).

Wow, what an exciting life you lead. First you show this website to a group of lawyers, now to a psychologist. You must be fun at parties Laughing

lanista wrote:

It'll be interesting to see whether your other posts are in any way tolerant of the plebeians. Or instead whether you similarly browbeat them from your high and mighty position, crushing their no doubt trivial and unworthy words.

You descibe yourself as a "pleb" and believe your words to be trivial and unworthy? Well, who am I to argue?!! But seriously with such a low opinion of yourself you should get along and see a psychologist. Oh, you did that already...... Laughing

lanista wrote:

Ah - now I see. You clearly
@Sean
"As for chess flourishing - well I can only tell you that my club grew from 1 team to 13 teams in 5 years, and my congresses have seen a similar growth in the same period so yes, the chess I am involved in is indeed flourishing. Thanks for asking Embarassed"

I can see from the extent of your self-congratulation that your ego is kept suitably well fed and nourished.

Oh and glad to hear you're alright. Jack.

Nothing to do with ego - the success at our club is not down to one individual, and certainly not me. But when you slag off the entire chess community

lanista wrote:
I do hope the world of chess is flourishing beyond all wildest expectations here in England

its clearly important to make the point that chess is flourishing in places where people make the effort. Atticus CC is another good example.

lanista wrote:

I came here (well actually to the EC Forum originally) simply seeking some guidance as a beginner and so fell into your welcome.

No. You cam here slagging off Carl in your first post.

lanista wrote:

However my energy seems to have been (wastefully) sapped dealing with your ego, with no resulting benefit to anyone.

You really do have a downer on yourself, but you shouldn't. This debate has been of benefit to many people. No one else on the forum has had to put up with you!!

lanista wrote:

Carl - I haven't forgetten my initial questions to you - indeed to the topic of this thread - and shall return in civil discourse - assuming Sean will desist from causing me to defend myself in reply to further of his provocative "nonsense".

The debate has already been had. Your view is / was in the minority. Why dont you just accept that and move on? I for one shall be on the edge of my seat to see if you have anything positive or constructive to say infuture.

lanista wrote:

I have no problems identifying myself.

Still on edge of seat there too Embarassed
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed my Jewish brother-in-law this thread, intrigued as to his reaction to such religiously charged language. Since reading your contribution, Sean, his sleep has been haunted by images of conquest and crucifixion, the waking hours spent rocking back and forth, muttering. When I lean in close I hear it; 'the Christians are coming, the Christians are coming'. We can no longer reach him.

So thanks alot Sean, for the sake of your eloquence I've lost a brother.
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
I showed my Jewish brother-in-law this thread, intrigued as to his reaction to such religiously charged language. Since reading your contribution, Sean, his sleep has been haunted by images of conquest and crucifixion, the waking hours spent rocking back and forth, muttering. When I lean in close I hear it; 'the Christians are coming, the Christians are coming'. We can no longer reach him.

So thanks alot Sean, for the sake of your eloquence I've lost a brother.

I apologise most profusely to you Roger and can only hope that you weren't too close to your brother-in-law Laughing

Last edited by Sean on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeresJohnny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sean

Can I eat my sandwiches (they are my own) whilst viewing this thread.

Regards to all normal viewers
lanista

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by lanista on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Romper Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: