Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leyland Chess Congress August Bank Holiday 29th to 31st

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobtinton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Leyland Chess Congress August Bank Holiday 29th to 31st Reply with quote

LEYLAND CHESS CONGRESS 2009
Leyland Chess Club is arranging a congress from August 29 to 31 (Saturday to Monday of the bank-holiday weekend) at the Wellfield Business and Enterprise College, Leyland.

It will be similar to the past two August congresses, with a FIDE-rated Open section, a Major section and a Minor section. There will be two games per day, starting at 09.30 and 14.00 each day.

We hope you will be able to come and enjoy the competition.

Entry forms are available from me (Bob Tinton) by emailing leylandchesscongress2009 @ googlemail,com, or by downloading from englishchess.org.uk or lancashirechess.org.uk. calendar pages. I would appreciate them being sent in as early as possible as that gives me more time for checking ECF membership etc.

Players wishing to enter the Open section MUST be members of ECF if they are English or MUST be members of their national association otherwise. This is a FIDE rule and must be observed for the FIDE-rated Open section.

Chessmaze International will be operating a bookstall and there will be light refreshments available.

GRADES
The ECF will publish the 2009-2010 season grading list before our congress and that is the list that will be used for grades for the congress. The ECF have carried out a major exercise to revise grades and, although they are not in use this year, they are on the ECF website and will be used for calculating the 2009-2010 grade list. A lot of low-graded players will find their new grades are a lot higher than previous ones (my revised grade is 33 points higher than this year’s “un-revised” grade). The grade limits for the Major tournament and the Minor tournament have been adjusted to reflect what ECF report is the average effect on grades around the old tournament limits. This should keep the standards of the two competitions at about the same as previous years.

To quote from ECF website, “Changes can be roughly broken down as follows:

Standard
Adult New Grade = 0.79 x Old Grade + 44
Junior New Grade = 0.68 x Old Grade + 64

Note that these "formulae" are true on average only, and cannot be applied to individual players. Different players are affected differently.”

We have used the adult formula for setting the tournament section limits. Grading prize limits will be set after entries have been received.

We do hope you will join us for the weekend. If you require further information please email me at leylandchesscongress2009 @ googlemail,com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Congress Diary All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: