Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4NCL NORTHERN LEAGUE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s262jdd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: 4NCL NORTHERN LEAGUE Reply with quote

The 4NCL are currently looking at the feasibility of setting up a 4NCL Northern League. The aim of this would be to encourage northern-based teams which may currently be reluctant to commit to the travelling times to the 4NCL's existing venues. If your team would be interested in participating, perhaps you could contact me on 01993 708645 or mike@mtruran.fsnet.co.uk so that we can test what level of support we might get.

We would probably not have any particular difficulty sourcing northern venues of a similar quality to our existing venues using our existing 4NCL contacts. I would have thought that (as with the 4NCL at the start) we would be able to get going without too many teams.

The league would probably be along the following lines:

1. Similar format to existing 4NCL Div 3 (so six boards, no female player requirement, Swiss system, FIDE rated etc etc). Two matches a weekend as with 4NCL.
2. Rules, entry guidelines, entry fees etc the same as the 4NCL.
3. Promotion place(s) available to 4NCL Div 2 if a team wants to take it up - maybe pro-rate places vs existing Div 3 based on number of teams (eg say 30 teams in existing 4NCL Div 3, 10 teams in 4NCL Northern League would mean the existing 4 promotion places out of Div 3 into Div 2 would be split 3 Div 3, 1 Northern League).
4. Matches played on same weekends as rest of 4NCL (to avoid using up too many weekends).
5. Open to Scottish teams as well if they wanted to enter.

If successful, this might lead in due course to a regionalised 4NCL Div 3, split between north and south.

The 4NCL's website www.4ncl.co.uk gives more information on the 4NCL.

Mike Truran
s262jdd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned on this thread already, the 4NCL have recently been working to develop the idea of a 4NCL Northern League in response to the comment often made in the past that the 4NCL's choice of locations for its weekends has not always been conducive to northern teams playing in the 4NCL.

After various discussions with the Barcelo and De Vere hotel/conference centre chains we have now been able to secure weekends for a 4NCL Northern League on the same terms and conditions as our other 4NCL venues as follows. Within the constraints of venue availability, venue willingness to host us, coordination with other 4NCL weekends etc we have tried to get an equitable geographical spread between the north-west and the north-east:

6/7 November 2010: Barcelo Redworth Hall (nr Darlington)
15/16 January 2011: De Vere Wychwood Park (nr Crewe)
19/20 February 2011: Barcelo Majestic Hotel (Harrogate)
26/27 March 2011: De Vere Wychwood Park (nr Crewe).

These weekends are the same as those already booked for rest of the 4NCL for the 2010/2011 season to avoid the 4NCL taking up too many weekends in an already crowded chess calendar. We envisage all 4NCL teams (Divisions 1, 2, 3 and the Northern League) coming together at the fifth and final weekend on 30 April-2 May 2011 at the 4NCL's Hinckley Island venue (between Coventry and Leicester) for what would hopefully be a memorable and spectacular coming together of chess players from across the country.

As regards format etc:

1. The Northern League would have a similar format to existing 4NCL Division 3 (six boards, no female player requirement, Swiss system, FIDE rated, ECF graded etc etc). There would be two matches a weekend as with the rest of the 4NCL.
2. Rules, entry guidelines etc would be the same as the 4NCL. You might want to visit these links for the 4NCL's rules and entry guidelines for the 2009/2010 season for an idea of what playing in the Northern League would entail: http://www.4ncl.co.uk/0910_rules.htm and http://www.4ncl.co.uk/0910_announce.htm
3. Our current thinking is that the Northern League would be combined with the current 4NCL third division for the fifth and final weekend, with match and game points carried forward from the first four weekends. Promotion places to Division 2 would be from the combined Northern League/Division 3 league for those teams that wanted it.
4. As with the existing 4NCL, rules around the composition of teams would be as relaxed as possible. Teams can be existing clubs and teams, amalgamations of two or more clubs and teams, groups of friends, junior teams etc etc etc.

I need now to gauge more specifically the level of interest for a Northern League that we would get from northern clubs and teams. Ideally we would need at least 12 teams from across the north to get things started (and if we did so, we could probably guarantee a prize fund of at least 1,000 to provide some further interest and incentive) - but by the same token if there is minimal interest in the idea, then the sooner I know the better so that I can cancel venue bookings in good time so as to give the venues a decent chance of finding alternative bookings.

I have also emailed the various northern federations and associations directly, including as many individual clubs as I was able to find email addresses for, so if this project doesn't take off it won't be for lack of publicity.

I look forward to hearing from you. Do feel free to contact me by email or on 01993 708645 if there is anything you would like to discuss in more detail.

Mike Truran
s262jdd

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many people still use this forum, but just in case......

The entry guidelines for the new 4NCL Northern League can be found here:

http://www.4ncl.co.uk/1011_announce.htm

Please feel free to get in touch with me on 01993 708645 if there is anything you would like to discuss.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> 4NCL All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: